Robinson Family

Robinson family of Brandon and Hough - Part 1

The Robinson family had  been farming in the Brandon/Hough area since at least the early 17th century.  By the nineteenth century one branch of the family were based at Brandon Old Hall Farm. The Robinson family were usually referred to as graziers.  This can imply cattle or sheep, but was probably the latter; for example in 1835 there was a newspaper report of Mr Robinson of Brandon selling his flock and chattels.

We've organised the family by generations, starting with the earliest record we have so far, a William Robinson born around 1700 and his wife Jane.


Another branch of the family moved to Brandon in the early 19th century and took over Brandon Lodge Farm.  They are described in a separate section.


Generation 1

William and Jane Robinson lived in Brandon or Hough at the start of the 18th century.  By 1755 he was certainly a farmer in Brandon.  They had 6 children:

Anne Robinson, born Dec 1728

William Robinson, born May 1731 but died in Dec 1731

Francis Robinson, born Jan 1732

Mary Robinson, born Oct 1735

Richard Robinson, born 1736

John Robinson, born 1740

Generation 2

Francis Robinson (b 1732) married Anne Hole (born about 1740) in South Muskham, Nottinghamshire in May 1771. They lived in Brandon, where Francis was listed as a Grazier in 1788 and 1802.  Their children, born in Brandon, were:

William Robinson, born Mar 1772

Elizabeth Robinson, born Apr 1774

John Robinson, born Dec 1775

Generation 3


William Robinson was born about 1772 in Brandon, Lincs, the son of Francis and Anne.  In 1802 (31 May) he married his cousin Elizabeth Hole in South Muskham, Notts.  She'd been born in Askham, Notts in 1775, the daughter of Samuel Hole and Ann (nee Boot).  Her father was the brother (possibly half brother) of William's mother Anne (nee Hole).

William and Elizabeth settled in Brandon where, in 1807 and 1833, William was a grazier.  They probably lived at Brandon Old Hall, however, after the marriage of their son William in 1841 the son was at the Old Hall, whilst William senior and Elizabeth lived with their unmarried younger son Frederick and daughter Ann Eliza at Church Lane Farm (200 acres).

William and Elizabeth both died in Brandon and were buried at Hough; Elizabeth in Aug 1851 and William in Dec 1856.  Their children had all been born in Brandon:

Ann Eliza Robinson, born 1803

Jane Robinson, born 1804

Francis Robinson,  born 1806

Mary Robinson, born 1808

Edward Robinson, born 1810

William Robinson, born about 1815

• John Robinson, born in 1817. He died in Jan 1822 in Brandon, aged 4.

Frederick Robinson , born 1820

Elizabeth Robinson (b. 1774) married Henry Hole at South Muskham in Dec 1801, 6 months before Elizabeth's younger brother William married Henry's younger sister Elizabeth.  They lived at Little Carlton, near South Muskham. A daughter, Elizabeth Robinson, was born in 1804.  Elizabeth senior died in 1847 and Henry in 1849.


NEXT PAGE

Stamford Mercury Fri Oct 9th 1812

It gives us pleasure to hear that a book is opened at the Town Hall in Grantham, to receive subscriptions to raise a large sum of money with a view of bringing to justice the ruffians who lately committed the cruel act of destroying 24 rams, the property of Mr. ROBINSON, of Brandon, in this county.  A large reward, and a free pardon, we understand, will be offered to any one of the party concerned, who will impeach his companions.