The current building dates from the 16th century, rebuilt in 1637.
The first occupant we can confirm is 1850 when William Robinson (born Brandon 1815) had the tenancy of the house and the 600 acre farm. However, his father (William, born 1772), grandfather (Francis, born 1732) and great-grandfather (William) had lived in the village, so they too may have been here.
William Robinson lived here until his death in 1886, with the amount of land farmed varying between 750 acres in 1871 and 350 acres in 1881. He was followed by his son, also William (born 1846) until at least 1896 when, after his sister’s death, he moved away.
The next tenant we know (between 1905 and 1919) was Alfred Christopher Bratley. He was followed (1922-1950s) by James Algernon Rudkin.
Note: These are the tenants who leased the Old Hall and associated farmland from the actual owners.
Grade II* Listing:
Early C16, 1637, C18, C19, C20. Coursed dark gold bands of ironstone, light gold bands of ironstone, narrow bands of blue lias and limestone ashlar dressings, slate, plaintile and pantile roofs with stone coped gables, finials, slight kneelers and 2 coped stone ridge stacks. L-plan with C16 and C17 west range and lower C18 and C19 range at rear. 2 storeys and garret, 5 bay west front. Ironstone banded wall and window, below first floor moulded stringcourse of C16.
Inserted rectangular headed doorway with ashlar surround and panel door to south with single rectangular window to south and 2 rectangular windows to north. All the windows are of 3 pointed stone lights with moulded mullions. Upper storey, including narrow bands of blue lias added in 1637 as were the quoins. 5 windows with 3, three light mullion windows alternating with 2, two light mullion windows. Between the second window from the north and the third is a datestone inscribed "1637 PRE" South return of early C17 masonry with first and second floor moulded stringcourses. Low C20 ground floor rectangular bay windows with a 3 light mullion window above and another 3 light mullion window with a moulded cornice in the gable. East front has a central doorway inserted into mullion window, with plain door and moulded cornice above. Say to the south of 1637 with 3 light mullion window with moulded cornice and another 3 light mullion window above. Banded masonry begins just south of door with a 3 light mullion window with cornice to north, another 3 light mullion window above and 2 light mullion window over door. Small C20 dormer with casement over north bay. C18 and C19 brick extension to west with irregular fenestration, C20 casements with glazing bars and wooden lintels. Doorway in north return. Interior has fragmentary screens passage, and a mutilated chamfered and straight angled cut-stopped beam spans hall fire opening. Staggered butt purlin roof.
|Brandon Lodge Farm|
|Church Lane Farm|
|Church Lane North|
|Old Hall Farm - 1|
|Old Hall Farm - 2|