Tom Lound was born in Ancaster c1866. In 1890 he married Fanny Doughty (born Leadenham c1867). They lived in WIlsford before moving to Frieston. They had 9 children:
Walter Edward born Wilsford Valley 1891
Thomas born Wilsford c1893
Mary J born Frieston c1897
John Richard born Frieston 1898
Gertrude born Frieston c1902
Ethel May born Frieston c1903
William born Frieston 11 Jul 1904
Eliza born Frieston c1908
George Henry born Frieston 1910
Their older sons (Walter, Thomas and John) joined the army and all died (see below). William married (Ivy Ward) in 1935. They had 4 children and he died in 1973. George Henry married Elsie Mary Drury; he died in 1976.
Walter Edward Lound
In 1911 (age 20) Walter was a waggoner, lodging with Thomas Bailey at Copper Hill Farm, Ancaster (above Wilsford Valley).
In 1916 (age 25) he was a horseman for Thomas Cragg in Caythorpe and was granted temporary exemption from military service by the Claypole Rural Tribunal.
In January 1917 he joined the Royal Veterinary Corps, but was transferred to the infantry 12 months later; initially to 2/2nd Battalion London Regiment and shortly afterwards to 8th Battalion, Royal Berkshire Regiment. He was sent to the Western front in March 1918 and involved in many engagements.
He was killed in action on 8th August 1918, the first day of the allied counterattack in the Battle of Amiens. He has no known grave, but his name is on the Vis-En-Artois Memorial.
In 1911 Thomas was 17, living at home in Frieston and working as a farm labourer.
Four years later he joined the Lincolnshire Yeomanry at Lincoln and had just completed training when the Yeomanry sailed for Salonika on the troopship Mercian. He was amongst those killed (age 22) when the ship was attacked by a German submarine on 3rd Nov 1915 (see http://www.loveden.org.uk/fox.html and more here). Thomas has no known grave (although those who died in the attack were buried at Oran) but is commemorated on Helles Memorial. A memorial service was held at Caythorpe.
After the war, to commemorate their comrades, the officers and men of the Lincolnshire Yeomanry paid for the building and equipment of the new X-Ray Department and Pathological Lab at Lincoln Hospital. The memorial, unveiled in April 1922, includes Thomas Lound’s name.
|Carlton Scroop Turbines|
|Laurel & Hardy|
|Brandon Lodge Farm|
|Church Lane Farm|
|Church Lane North|
|Old Hall Farm - 1|
|Old Hall Farm - 2|
|Pubs & Shops|