Ownership of Old Hall Farm: 18th Century
The Vere family seem to have acquired land around Brandon from several sources around 1800.By 1850 James Vere's estate in Brandon included the Old Hall, the shepherd's cottage (Toad/Berry Cottage) and Falcon Yard (the pasture around Old Hall Cottages). Also several fields to the north west and south west of Brandon and the fields to the east of the Brant.
We're not clear yet how these came into the Garnar/Eggington/Vere family. Land may have been exchanged with William Robinson, but that's not certain as the Robinson family seemed to have farmed the land but not necessarily owned it. The previous ownership of some of the land was as follows:
a) Land bought from Ann Turner
1737 William Julian of Market Overton died, leaving land at Brandon (& elsewhere) to daughters Catherine & Elizabeth.
1738 Catherine Julian married John Turner of Garthorp, clerk.
She owned Moore Close (4 acres) in Brandon & tithes from Hough rectory but made indenture in favour of William Taylor of London.
1743 Elizabeth Julian married Thomas Wingfield of Market Overton, clerk.
½ of their rent from lands in Brandon owed to John Turner & Wm Turner (Taylor?).
1781 John Turner made a will leaving 3 closes in Brandon to his nephew John Chrichloe Turner.
1799 Ann Turner of Uppingham (widow) Sir John Chrichloe Turner of Marylebone & John Turner of the Middle Temple, plus Rev. Baptist Noel Turner of Denton (witness?) leased 3 closes in Brandon [about ½ mile southwest of village] to William Robinson of Brandon, grazier: Long close (13 acres), How Moor Heads (16a. 3r.), Moor close alias Withy close alias Rickets close (4a).
b) Land bought from Ann & John Coddington
1766 John Coddington of Grantham, glover, willed his estate to his wife Ann, including a Close in Gelston known as Gavelstone, occupied by William Robinson.
1769 Ann Coddington of Grantham, widow, agreed to pay income from Moor Close (15 acres) in Hough, Gelston & Brandon, to Hazeldine Crabtree of Grantham, innholder & his wife Deborah (nee Coddington). The other signatory is William Crabtree of Grantham, innholder.
1769 'Left hand indenture of a fine' between William Crabtree (plaintiff) v Ann Coddington & Hasledine Crabtree & wife, defendents, re 5 acres of land and 20 acres of pasture and common in Hough, Gelston & Brandon.
1769 Reversion of premises to John Coddington following death of Deborah Crabtree.
1785 Lease from Ann Coddington & John Coddington to Francis Robinson of Brandon, grazier, Close as above, occupied by Robinson..
c) Land bought from Cornelius Neep
1740 Priest Close (18 acres) in Gelston leased? by John Calcraft of Grantham, gentleman to John Whitehead of Fenton, grazier.
1743 John Whitehead died, leaving his wife Penelope land in Stubton and Moor Close (8 acres) in Gelston.
1789 Priest Close, alias Moor Close, leased by Cornelius Neep of Westminster (nephew & heir of Penelope Whitehead) to Francis Robinson of Brandon, farmer.
d) Land bought from Dr John Storer
1773 Agreement between Thomas Hall of Westborough, clerk and:Robert Waring Darwin of Elston, Esq; John Darwin of Carlton Scroop (Lincs), clerk; Elizabeth. Darwin of Elston, widow; William Alvey Darwin of Holborn, Middlesex, gentleman; Ann & Susanna Darwin of Elston, spinsters; Erasmus Darwin of the Close, Litchfield, doctor of Physic.
Relating to land including close at Hough on the Hill occupied by Thomas Gilbert and close at Temple Hill occupied by William Heward, whereby Thomas Hall paid annual sum to Elizabeth Darwin.
1773 Will of Thomas Hall. (1775 Probate). Some of estate to eldest son Thomas, held in trust by his brother Rev. Robert Hall of Hawton until Thomas aged 24.
£2000 to trustees for youngest son William.
£4000 to daughter Elizabeth; she releasing all right to estate at Claythorpe to trustees for William.
To trustees for William, land including Pasture Holmes, Hough.
1774 Codicil: close at Hough on the Hill (4a. 3r. 16p.) not to go to William, but appropriated to Westborough Vicarage, on condition of receiving Queen Anne's Bounty augmentation.
1780 Agreement between William Hall of Derby, gentleman, Roger Vaughton of Hansworth (Staffs), Esq & wife Elizabeth, Rev. Thomas Hall of Westborough, clerk and Erasmus Darwin, jun, of The Close, Litchfield (Staffs), gentlman. Covenant to levy a fine on premises at Hough for use of William Hall.
1781 Fine. Erasmus Darwin, jun, gent, plaintiff
William Hall, gentleman, Roger Vaughton, Esq & wife Eliz., & Thomas Hall, Clerk, defendants
6 messuages, 4 cottages, 8 barns, 12 stables, 2 dove houses, 10 gardens, 10 orchards, 80a. Land, 50 acres meadow, 100 acres pasture in Westborough, Bassingham, Norton- Disney, Claypole, Doddington, Hough & Sleaford.
1781 Marriage settlement between William Hall of Grantham, gentleman, Elizabeth Middlemore of Nottingham, spinster (under age) and her mother Mary, wife of John Storer of Nottingham, doctor in physic. John Storer & Job Charlton Brough of Lincolns Inn, trustees.
Estate includes 3 closes (9a. 3r. 33p.) at Hough on the Hill.
1794 Abstract of Wm. Hall's title to estate in the parish of Hough
1794 Elizabeth Darwin of New Sleaford, widow and Elizabeth Hall of Southwell, widow, lease to Francis Robinson of Brandon, yeoman, 3 closes (9a. 3r. 33p.) in occupation of Thos. Dilbat & Jonathan Giley in Hough. Trustees: John Storer & Job Charlton Brough; Geo. Hutton of Carlton on Trent, gentleman.
1833 Indenture. William Hutton of Carlton on Trent, gent to William Robinson of Brandon, farmer & grazier.
e) Estate at Gelston & Hough purchased from Nicholas Pilkinton
1768 Will of Thomas Sturtevant of Norwell, gentleman
All real estate in Gelston & Hough on the Hill to nephews John & Edmund Hawkins, they paying £200 each to nieces Jane (wife of Francis Raymond) and Mary Irevy, widow & Anne (wife of Thomas Brown).
1791 Will of Edmund Hawkins of Wandon, Kings Walden (Herts), farmer
All real estate at Gelston & Hough on the Hill to wife Mary for life, then to nephew William Raymond of Potters Heath (Herts), farmer; charged with payment of £4 p.a. to E.H's sister Ann Brown of Whitwell (Herts).
1792 Lease. John Hawkins of E. Barkhamstead (Herts), farmer,& wife Sarah, by direction of Nicholas Pilkington of Grantham. Joseph Benjamin Smith of Newark, gentleman, trustee.
½ of a messuage & of Little Gate close (3a), Five Acre close (5a), Pudding Pork close (8a), Four Acre close (4a), Nine Acres close (9a), Hovel close (30a), Allen close (4a), Wheat close (30a), Weaving close (5a), Hill close (12a), Seven Acre close (7a), Slipe close (2a), Drake Y ard close (3a), Overfields close (44a) all in occupation of William Machinder in Gelston.
1792 Extract of fine as in King's Silver Office, Michaelmas 1792
J.B. Smith, plaintiff; John Hawkins & wife Sarah, defendants
½ of 2 messuages, 2 cottages, 3 barns, 4 stables, 2 curtilages, 2 gardens, 2 orchards, 300a. land, 300a. meadow, 300a. pasture & common of pasture in Gelston.
1795 Ann Brown of Whitwell (Herts), widow to Mary Hawkins, widow. Wm. Rayment (Raymond?) of Potters Heath (Herts), farmer. Quitclaim of £4 p.a. charged on premises at Gelston & Hough on the Hill.
1795 Lease. Mary Hawkins of Saundridge (Herts), widow. Wm. Raymond, by direction of Nicholas Pilkinton Thos. Jackson of Stamford (Lincs), gent, trustee. ½ of all premises above
1795 Nicholas Pilkinton lease to William Robinson of Brandon, grazier.
Little Gate close (3a), Five Acre close (5a), Pudding Pork close (8a), Four Acre close (4a) in occ. of Wm. Mackinder, all in Gelston.
1795 Covenant. Elizabeth Lunn of Hough, widow, to produce to William Robinson title deeds to above premises.
f) Estate at Caythorpe bought from Richard Asworth & others.
1739 James Harryman & Andrew Lappis plaintiffs
William Cappe & wife Hannah, Ruth Fletcher, widow, Turner Fletcher, William Elliott & wife Elizabeth, William Makinder & wife Mary, deforceants. 3 messuages, 2 cottages, 20a. land, 6a. meadow, 82a. pasture, 32a. heath, 1/4 of 4a. pasture in Caythorpe, New Sleaford, Leasingham, Osbornby & Gelston
g) Estate at Caythorpe purchased from Mr. Mackenes
1788 Thomas Mackenness of Lincoln, gentleman lease to Francis Robinson of Brandon (Lincs), grazier. 2 Branthill closes (20 acres) in occupation of F Robinson
The story continues in the 19th Century here.
|Carlton Scroop Turbines|
|Laurel & Hardy|
|Brandon Lodge Farm|
|Church Lane Farm|
|Church Lane North|
|Old Hall Farm - 1|
|Old Hall Farm - 2|
|Pubs & Shops|